Pages

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Trunk Diner

First of all I would like to wish Stephy a late happy birthday. I hope that all your dreams come true and continue to be the fabulous friend you are. May you receive only the best things in life.

Stephy wanted to give Diner a try and it's only right to follow the birthday girl. This was the first time for all of us at Diner. (This post will be picture heavy)

The front entrance to Diner

Diner has a very welcoming atmosphere. From the front gate to the back, the place has a relaxing country style decor and feel. Honestly I quite like the way the cafe was set.




You have two options. Outdoor dinning or indoor dinning. For us, outdoor sounds more appealing despite the cold weather. If you choose to sit outdoor, they have overhead gas heaters to keep you warm.



The very back of the cafe

There aren't too many options on the menu.

Lunch Menu

Breakfast Menu
Water is served in this chemical bottle. Interesting choice I must say. At first I was a little reluctant to drink from it since I've always pictured these bottle to contain dangerous substance. This is definitely the first for me to have my drinks serve from such a bottle.



Coffee any one?
While we waited for our food to arrive, Lingna and I went to buy a cake for Stephy. While we were gone, the food arrived and my friends decided to take the photos. Unfortunately they didn't know I had the camera on manual focus hence some of these photos are blurry.

A number of my friends ordered The Wagyu Burger. As you can see below, it's kind of like a DIY burger. You get everything on a tray and you construct the burger yourself. Personally I'm not too keen on this idea. The burger itself was amazingly small. Some of the meat were dry, some were moist and one was raw. Seriously? Raw food? And not to mention Tina's burger taste burnt.

The Wagyu Burger


Raw meat anyone?
As for Lingna, she ordered a salad. Lingna chose this salad in particular because the menu said it comes with lemon zest dressing. Overall thoughts? Lingna said it was ok but she was hoping for a stronger lemon flavour. 

The 'Un-Cut' Salad
As for me, I ordered mmm...Chicken. Yes that is what it's called. It comes with fried chicken wings and potato salad. The batter was too salty. If you peal the outer layer off the chicken wings then the rest are just plain flavourless chicken wings. If you eat the outer layer then it taste like crispy salt. As for the salad, it was good. I really enjoyed the salad. It taste a little plain but I really needed that to contrast with the salty chicken wings. 


mmm...Chicken
Would I go back? NO. I enjoyed the salad but overall it's not worth the money. None of my friends were that happy with their dish either. The serving size was small. The taste? It was average. As for the service? Well, there was one guy who was serving us at the start and he was incredibly polite and attentive. He looked after us really well until halfway through he informed us that it was time for his shift at the cafe (coffee making) and another girl will be serving us instead. The girl was not as attentive, not as cheery and definitely not as polite.

We brought our own cake to celebrate Stephy's birthday and we were wondering about the surcharge for having the cake there. Not all restaurant charge extra for serving us the cake we bring but a few do. Mocha Joe's in Glen Waverley charge an extra $10 for serving our cake despite the number of people but Trunk Diner they charge $3 PER PERSON. Seriously? PER PERSON? I find that ridiculous. They said they serve the cake with cream and all but all we wanted was to cut and eat the cake we brought with us. Enough about the cake. Let's talk about the bill.

There were stuff on the bill that we didn't order. Firstly, we ordered ONE large serving of chips and on the bill they charged us TWO. They also charged us a glass of beer which we didn't ordered. There was also a third one as well but I can't remember what it was. The first bill we received was over a hundred dollars and to us that doesn't make any sense. I was already unhappy with the service and the complication with the cake and to find our bill was over charged? Well, you can imagine how dissatisfied I was. On top of that when I asked the girl who was serving us what Carlton Draught was (it was listed on our original bill which she was fixing) she said, "you don't have to be angry". I wasn't angry at the time. I was simply curious because I seriously don't know what it was. After that comment I was annoyed and angry. After that we paid the bill which was round about $85 give or take and left.

Sorry Trunk Diner but you will NEVER see me again. Sorry guys for rambling but I feel I should tell the story and I really need to get it out of my system.

Trunk Diner
Visit their website here.
275 Exhibition St. Melbourne 3000
Victoria Australia

1 comment: