Pages

Thursday 31 October 2013

N2 Extreme Gelato

When my friends first told me about nitrogen ice-creame my first reaction was "What? Nitrogen ice cream? How does that work?" and since nitrogen ice cream was on our 'to try' list. When I first heard of nitrogen ice cream, I thought it was something along the line of a scoop of ice cream dipped in liquid nitrogen. Boy was I wrong.

'Nitrogen Extreme Gelato' The sign at the entrance

I was very excited to try nitrogen ice cream. The whole concept was new to me and for weeks I was looking forward to trying it. When my friends and I first arrived at the shop we were amazed by the number of people there. The line started at the counter and weaved all the way out on to the street. Inside was also packed.

The front of the shop

The shop is divided into two section, the front half and the back half. The front half consist of the counter, work space (where they make ice cream) and a huge wall size menu. They literately turn one of the wall into a giant black board, drew a huge ferris wheel and wrote the menu on the cars. I must give it to them, that is one creative and fun way to show case your menus. The flavour changes weekly.

The front counter. Behind that is where they make the ice cream.

The fancy menu (the menu changes weekly)

Above the counter is 5 important dot points. I don't know if you can read it in the photo but just incase I'll rewrite it below.

# 1 Scoop $6
# 2 Scoops You don't need it     <- (Just their way of say they don't do 2 scoops)
# T2 Hot Tea $3.5
# Happiness Included (Just like GST)
# Sadness Go Elsewhere

The back half is sitting space but not in your typical table and chair layout. They laid out crates covered in fake grass and used that as chairs. On one of the back wall is list of previous flavours they served in the shop.

The back half of the shop (sorry that the photo is so dark)

People enjoying their ice cream

A list of their previous flavours

The ice cream is made to order and they make it on the spot. If you think about it it's quite easy process. All the different flavours come in liquid form which they turn it into ice cream using liquid nitrogen as a binding medium. They poured the flavouring and liquid nitrogen into a mixer and continue to mix that until you get ice cream.

Pouring the liquid nitrogen

And the magic begins


Ice cream anyone?

Scooping the ice cream into the cup

The production line

A cup of nitrogen ice cram will cost you $6 each except the flavour written in the centre of the ferris wheel. The flavour in the centre is special limited time flavour therefore it is more expensive costing at $8 a cup. I ordered "Tearamisu" which was their special flavour at the time. Inside there was earl grey and masala soaked sponge finger with mild tea custard gelato topped with earl grey royal whipped mascarpone and chocolate shaving. Sounds interesting doesn't it.

The gelato was nice and soft and it simple melts in your mouth. The sponge wasn't too soaked and complement nicely with the gelato. The mascarpone wasn't too sweet which is good but I wish earl grey flavour was stronger. Honestly, you can't tell that there's earl grey flavour in there at all. As for the chocolate shaving, there was barely any on mine. The gelato has all the components of a typical tiramisu but it doesn't taste like one. You can taste earl grey in the gelato hence the name "TEAramisu". A down side to this is that the gelato melts much too quickly. It took me less than 5 minutes to gobble down the entire contents. Had I taken any longer I would have a cup of liquid rather than ice cream. You see, I love my gelato and I like to savour it but not in this case. I like ice cream not liquid.

Note: A cup of nitrogen ice cream is approximately 250mL give or take. (measured by eye)

I wish this cup was mine

Tearamisu Nitrogen Ice Cream

My friends ordered Black Lava Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter Jelly Time and Lemon Lime Bitter Sorbet. My friends didn't didn't give me much to write on. Their comments was "it's nice". After a bit of pressing and some encouragements they managed to give me a bit of feed backs. Black Lava Salted Caramel has a very strong salty caramel taste. Good thing my friend who ordered the salted caramel loves salted caramel. The only comment I got out of my friend who ordered Peanut Butter Jelly Time was "buttery but it's nice". As for the Lemon Lime Bitters Sorbet it was extremely sour. Sour enough that you can even taste it in your jaw but "it's nice".

Black Lava Salted Caramel

 
Peanut Butter Jelly Time

Lemon, Lime Bitter Sorbet

Overall it was delicious and I would love to have another cup; however $8 a cup for the special and $6 for a normal? I don't think so. The price is way too expensive. For $8 I can get a 1L tube of Weis gelato or ice cream and I love Weis macadamia ice cream or mango, passionfruit and lychee gelato. Then again if you compare the price to ice cream else where (New Zealand Natural, Wendy's), then it's not that expensive at all. What's more you have a fancier and unique selection of flavours. What do you think? Is it worth it? For me I'll keep nitrogen ice cream as a once in a while thing and next time I'll stick to the normal flavour selection.

N2 (Nitrogen) Extreme Gelato
329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Vic, 3065
Visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment